Wednesday, November 4, 2009

First Days of School

Day 4 in Australia...

So I've officially been at my school for two and a half days...and I LOVE it :) Our principal is super fantastic and all the staff are soo soo nice and helpful. I love my cooperating teacher...her name is Gemma Brown. We are going to go on a shopping trip in two weekends! It's funny because the staff think its so exciting I'm here from MI...like that's some cool place...and I've had a couple teachers tell me that I have a beautiful accent...haha it's weird to think of myself as the one with the accent.

Funny Happenings:
So they say words here that I understand but just aren't really used in everyday talk that always make me smile. And then they say things that I have no idea what they are talking about...so that is fun times:) List of words below:

picture kids saying:
"I've just come back from Holiday" ie vacation...haha so cute!
"We are planning an excursion". ie field trip...
"I'm going to write in my diary"- i.e. planner
"Can I have a tick?"- Check mark
"Miss Gonsior, I need a rubber." -really...are you sure? ie..eraser! lol

Differences I noticed:
* They raise one finger versus the whole hand
* Children sing "Good Morning (insert teacher name)" as a way to show respect when ever a teacher comes in, or at an assembly...when a new person comes up to talk
* My school is kindy (4 year olds)- year 7 (7th grade).
*School is split into different buildings/blocks, 3-5 together, 6-7 together, etc, and open walkways outdoors in between...kinda like being in a mini college
*Lots of independent work in booklets
* Use of "Beautiful"...such as "look at these children sitting beautifully"...pretty common

Highlights:

*My kids are awesome...they think its so cool that I've made a snowman before and tasted snow :) cute huh?
*They all have the cutest smiles and accents...they really are the definition of "lovely"
*They first day one of the students tried to set me up with another teacher assistant...although hes only 17...seriously...I hate looking so young!
*There is another teacher assistant in my class named James who is the same age as me and super fun to talk with
*I saw a fifth grader wearing shutter shades...enough said :)
*student gave me a nickname (basketball girl), and I call him "Goldfish"
*None of them can pronounce my name...too funny
*Teacher asked a student "where are the penguins?" in regards to a book cover, looking for a location...and the student answered, "on the book"...oh how obvious... :)
* When I told students my name was Miss, not MRS because I'm not married yet...one boy goes, "Well you will be soon!" (oh 3rd grade match makers...too funny)

Upcoming Excitements:


I am going to be teaching a unit on MI next week which should be fun. Except that I need to do research on MI...and i feel dumb that i don't know more...but everyone expects that because I'm from MI I know all the facts, population, history, symbols, what its famous for...etc. Lets calm down...I had MI history in 5th grade. Oh well..should be fun??

I am really excited because my teacher is letting me observe some different grade levels and the 6th/7th grade teacher named Ashley is going to have me teach a science lesson...or couple of lessons on Electricity! So I can't wait to actually teach to a middle school setting...always have wanted..what a cool opportunity!

Ok....so if you made it this far I'm impressed...sorry for so much...everything is just super exciting! And I'm not even covering half of it all :) Miss and love you...and until next time...stay warm :) you know I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment