Monday, November 2, 2009

G'day mates! (Which is Australian for Hello Friends!)

Well I made it! 26 hours of plane fun and air port security...but it was worth it! I am writing Monday morning, about 9am cause last night...well Jet lag is kinda tough. But I stayed up all day and made it through so we're doing good.

Now for the details...which is what you all want right?

My Flight Experience:

Was pretty fantastic...I guess when I booked my tickets I also picked my meals, so I always received my meals on the plane before the other passengers...so pretty much VIP status :) On my first flight I met this cool guy named Pete whose a newspaper editor in San Francisco (I told him about you Jay!) and he taught me how to play Sudoku. Which...I always thought was a waste of time...and still kinda do...but I'm not gonna lie, I kept the magazine with the one I finished by myself :) I know...too cool for you. On my flight to Sydney I heard my first native Australian speak...and I pretty much knew we were meant for each other at that moment. Ok...jk...but kinda. (never got to meet him though) On my flight to Perth I met a girl named Connie born and raised in Chile but has been living in Perth for the last two years. I'll let you know we are now facebook friends and plan to go see New Moon when it comes out in November together! Horah :)

Arriving in Perth:
It is SOOOOOO pretty here...seriously, like a dream. If you've ever been to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina...reminds me of that style with the palm trees and beaches. My family is fantastic :) My coordinator and family over here as well as another COST student named Megan met me at the airport. We piled into Len's (my host dad) ORANGE car and I just about freaked out when he started driving down the wrong side of the road. Now I would expect that from a girl named Heidi Be...but not an Australian. Except...that they drive on the left side of the road here! and the steering wheel is on the RIGHT side as well! I got a tour of the city and the water and beaches...OMG...amazing! I think I might move here. Except that I would miss all of you too much! The houses around here could all be on cribs...they are HUGE! There are lots of parks, wild life and animals. There are people everywhere, picnicking, running, biking, surfing....yeah :) Pictures soon to come!

Sunday with the Family:

When I arrived at the house I met Heather, my host mom and she gave me a tour of the place. I came to find that my host family is actually British! haha soo funny if you know me :) My two favorite kinds of accents...British, and Australia....and I get to experience both on a daily basis. They have a pool and hot tub in the back...their house has a GORGEOUS balcony that overlooks the Indian Ocean! There are soo many flowers and trees and birds...I seriously think I'm in my own little paradise :) Heather and Len took me shopping for food and we went to Pinnaroo Cemetery (which they call, "sem i try") lol and guess what...I SAW KANGEROOOSSSS!! it was sooo sooo cool! I got to get out of the car andgo up close :) I even saw a baby joey jump into his mommy's pouch! I was soo excited I went immediately into my bunny voice. I got some pics with the kangaroos and a video clip of one jumping around.

Afterwards we went home and Len taught me how to cook the dinner...apparently I'm going to be a sue chef before I leave :) We had chicken wrapped in thyme and some other meat, asparagus, peas, and tea....they LOVE tea :) I've already had more tea in the day I've been here, than I usually do in a week :) They also are experienced wine drinkers, so they made me try four different kinds! (just small portions, calm down). I've never liked wine before...but they informed me that obviously I'd never tried the good stuff...and this was all pretty good.

I got to meet their son Kit (I know...check out that name...love it!) who is 23...haha yeah boy :) He's a film and video graduate and is working on filming some music videos at the moment. He's really cool, we chatted this morning over a cup of tea (haha yeah British families) and he offered to show me around if I need anything. Everyone is sooo nice here!

Well I have to get going...I'm going into school today to meet my teacher, class, and staff in two hours! I'll keep you updated! Until next time....stay warm...you know I am :)

Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment