Thursday, November 19, 2009

Week 3 Excursions!

Well I am just doing a terrible time keeping up to date...ahhh!

Recap of the Weekend:

I went on a trip with my host dad, Len, and two of the other American teachers, Megan and Kendal to Margaret River. Margaret River is about a 5 hour drive south of Perth into a beautiful farming country filled with beaches and wineries and lots of wild life.


I had my first wine tasting at a real classy winery! There were beautiful lush gardens outside, and then you walk in up to this bar type thing, and they have a list of 6 different wines,(3 white, 3 red), and then the wine tender pours you one at a time in a nice glass, telling you information about the wine and asking your opinion. I learned about why people swirl the wine first and then smell it before drinking...apparently when you swirl it the wine mixes with the air and gives off smells that you can start to distinguish the variety flavors present in your glass. All part of the experience :)

We journeyed around to some beaches, a chocolate factory and went out for dinner in main strip of town...which is basically one street :) I also went shopping...early of course cause they all close at 5pm...but I got this killer hot pick dress so I'm pretty stoked about that!

We went to a couple of other wineries...one that was pretty much in the back of a shed (such a variety of styles!) as well as this beach where we ended up seeing humpback wales jumping out of the water! We also drove by a grove with emus, this random place where they have these huge huge trees, and had kangeroos jump out along side of our car! I felt like I was in Michigan...but w/o the deer :) I actually tried a Kangeroo Burger at a restaurant...not too bad! Returned Sunday night at 8pm...all in all a very relaxing weekend!

Week Lessons:
I started my research MI project! We did an art project today for the cover where the kids painted a background blue/green and then dipped their hands in paint and did hand prints to make a MI map picture! So cute :)

I taught my lesson on electricity to 6/7th graders and had a blast. I was amazed at how fast they got through things, could think critically, come up with new ways to change their experiment, and work together as a team. I had them build circuits and was told by one girl that my lesson was the funnest science she's done all year! It was great cause I had all this freedom to essentially do whatever I wanted, so we had a lot of conversing together, and exploring how electricity works.

Social Activities:
Monday night...I learned how to play this game with my family that is similar to the card game "liar" or "B.S." but you play with dice and have to raise your bets each time about what you think people rolled, and then people can loose die and the last person with die left wins. So we had some good quality family game night time!
Last night I went to the World Premier of NEW MOON...starting with a dinner trip to the pub, followed by a showing of the first movie, "Twilight" at 9pm...and then the second movie at 12:30...needless to say I didn't get to bed till 3:30am...but it was sooo worth it! the second movie is wayyy better, funnier, and the atmosphere of premiers are just the best. People clap and cheer when the main characters come out...and I met a few new girls so my friend base is going up! yeah new fb friends!

Upcoming excitements!
Tomorrow I teach a lesson on water density...where the kids test various objects whether they sink or float in water. Also they are making boats and seeing how much weight they can hold!
Going on an EXCURSION (still love saying that word) to Aqua, an aquiarum nearby with cool water creatures and such. I get to be in charge of a group so watch out!

P.S. Some of the kids have started to give me going away presents already...like make me books and such, and I LOVE it! This one girl made me a friendship eraser (didn't know these things existed...so heidi...if you wanna get on that?) She also gave me one of her butterfly hair clips...hmmm well ya know what ev.

Saturday I am going shopping with my teacher! she is super awesome and I can't wait! Hopefully some killer new clothes to bring home:)

Next weekend us American Girls are doing a Thanksgiving dinner that we all put together...so I can test out my new cooking skills! horah!

K well that's all for now...sleep is calling my name! Peace Love and warm :) Keep rocking out and I'll ttys!

No comments:

Post a Comment